Santander/Cater Allen have developed award-winning SIM swapping detection technology. However you still need to be aware of any issues with your mobile phone which could be related to SIM swapping.
The warning signs are:
- getting an unexpected text message to say your SIM is transferring
- losing connection for an unusual length of time in a place where you would normally have a connection
- your phone showing the message 'invalid SIM' or 'no SIM'
- if you think any of the above has happened with your phone, contact your mobile phone provider. Always use a number from their website.
How to protect yourself:
- set a secure password with all phone service providers
- dispose of your phone bills securely
- use online bills instead of post where you can
- keep your phone switched on at all times – this way you'll spot if it's not working.